What’s better than pizza? How about little pockets of pizza deliciousness?!? Yes, calzones are totally awesome. Try this recipe and you will feel the same way I do. You can pick up premade pizza dough from almost any pizzeria. The larger chains may not sale them to you, but check with your local shops; they offer them, all you have to do is ask.
6 equal pizza dough balls
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 jar vegan pizza sauce
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup spinach
2 cups mushrooms
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup red pepper, chopped
1 cup black olives, chopped
1 tablespoon melted vegan butter
1 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Mix the garlic powder and nutritional yeast in a small container and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, sauté vegetables in olive oil over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes. Turn heat down to medium and add half of the jar of pizza sauce and nutritional yeast. Stir to coat all vegetables, remove from heat.
4. On a floured surface, roll a piece of dough into a circle about 6-8inches in diameter.
5. Place a ½ cup of the vegetable mixture in the middle of each piece of rolled out dough. Fold the dough over and close the dough by rolling a small portion of the ends over.
6. Once all the calzones have been filled and closed, brush the calzones with butter and sprinkle the tops with the garlic/nutritional yeast mixture.
7. Place calzones on parchment lined baking sheet and Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. ENJOY!!!